Advertisement from Faulkners Dublin Journal l767

Announcing proposed planned new town of Westport.

Altar Stone from Westport Workhouse

Westport Workhouse, opened on 5th November l845 for the reception of the destitute poor. The large building, at Cahernamart, was capable of housing 1,000, with segregation between the sexes being strictly enforced. In l932-33 a Local Authority housing scheme was built on the site of the workhouse. In l996 the altar stone was found by Brendan Mulroy, while digging his garden.

Ammunition Belt

Captured by theVolunteers from the Black and Tans in the successful Carrowkennedy Ambush of 2nd June, l921.

Barber's Chair. 1926

Leather upholstered chair from McKenna's Barber Shop, Bridge Street.


n/a
Bottle sealed by marble,

from Livingstone's Brewery

The Livingston family established a Brewery in 1800. This was situated on Bridge Street.


Hand Grenade

Hand Grenade from the Carrowkennedy Ambush 1921


Ledger from Mulloys Ironmongers, and Hardware Store


Letter Weighing Scales


Rocking Horse

Rocking Horse from playroom of Westport House

Scientific Equipment used in National Schools from l900s

Sculpture of Ernie O'Malley, Freedom Fighter and Author
1897 - 1957



Illuminated Address

Illuminated Address presented to Major John MacBride in 1904, on behalf of the Irish people for his participation in the Boer War.   Major John MacBride was later executed for his part in the 1916 Rebellion in Dublin



Door from Westport Workhouse

Workhouse opened on 5th Nover 1845 for the reception of the destitue poor.The large building was capable of house 1,000 people.   It closed in October 1921.





Window bars from Westport Workhouse

Window bars from Westport Workhouse